Thursday, October 23, 2008

Watching the Game with Gordon

The Phillies winning ways continued last night with a victory in game one of the World Series. I caught the game at TJ's from a bar stool perfectly positioned in front of a flat screen and surrounded by energetic fans. The only annoyance was a vocal Phillies hater (a bitter Red Sox fan) who the crowd appropriately bashed with a rousing chant of ASSHOLE, ASSHOLE.

Just as I sat down Scott prepared to pour me a Russian River Damnation. Either he is the best bartender ever or I am damn predictable. I think it is a little of each. As much as I enjoyed the Damnation it was the Oskar Blues Gordon on draft that made an impression.

Gordon is a beer with a mild identity issue. The brewery calls it a,"hybrid beer". A cross between an Imperial Red and a Double IPA. It's considered a Strong Ale and most sites seem to list it simply as a Double IPA. Call it what you will it's a good strong drinker at 8.7% abv and 85 IBUs. Served in a pint glass the beer is reddish orange with a creamy finger high, off white head that fades down and leaves slight lacing. The aroma is sweet, floral, juicy hops. This beer definitely lets you know what your in for. The taste of hops is upfront but not in an overly assertive way. It's true to the aroma; sweet and citrusy and the malt has a chance to show through. The taste then slides to a more bitter piny presence and finishes only slightly sticky. Gordon is never stabbing and leaves the tongue fairly clean. It was great to finally have this on draft after drinking it a few times from the can. If memory serves me right the canned Gordon is little more on the bitter side but not drastically different.

Since the Phillies won and I was enjoying a Gordon I may need to head to TJ's for tonight's game. If I am going to be superstitious I might as well go all the way an enjoy my full beer lineup and have the Damnation and S'muttonator . Anything for a victory.


GO PHILLIES !!!

A quick view of Oskar Blues


2 comments:

Good Burp said...

They really make great beer. They are the only brewery that I will drink from a can. I have yet to try Gordon. Now I know I have to.

By the way, the Phillies are going down tonight.

Brian P said...

If the Phillies loose it might be my fault. I didn't follow my own advise about having another Gordon and watching the game. Instead I am at home, not drinking and they are currently experiencing a beat down.