Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thursday is Beer and Baseball Night

This is a huge Thursday night. The Phillies start their series with the Dodgers and there are two beer openings that expand Philadelphia's craft beer landscape. I am a little surprised at my excitement for the Phillies considering that I cheer for everything Pittsburgh. Besides that all my friends know that I am not a true baseball fan and I don't pretend that I am. I do enjoy going to the park and catching a game but the excitement for me is the atmosphere, time with friends, good food and a few beers. The actual game takes a back seat. Sorry true baseball fans but that's the way it is. My real sports life starts in the fall with football and hockey. However even I am into this NLCS thing. Even a traditionally baseball numb person like myself feels a tinge of excitement during the playoffs. So whether you hardcore fans want me or not I am jumping on the red October fan wave and ridding it all the way.

GO PHILLIES!!!

I have already mentioned both of these openings in earlier posts but it's worth pointing out again. The grand opening of Earth Bread + Brewery is today at 4:30PM. The location is 7136 Germantown ave. in the heart of Mt Airy. As most of you already know the owners are husband and wife team Tom Baker and Peggy Zwerver formerly of Heavyweight Brewing. There are four house beers on draft, nine gust drafts and eighteen beers on the bottle list. Now I am not sure if this place has TVs so you may have to stop in early then head up to McMenamin's to watch the game.

Tonight's other big debut is the soft opening of The Tied House at 2001 Hamilton St in the Fairmount/Art Museum area. The actual grand opening is set for the 20Th of Oct. A Tied House is defined as, a bar that is required to buy at least some of its beer from a particular brewery. The Tied House is tied to the General Lafayette Brewery in Lafayette Hill. Expect about 14 of the General's best on draft. Approximately 5 guest drafts are available along with the General Lafayette's bottles and a full list of craft and import beers. Baseball fans don't fear the Tied House is set with televisions so watching the game is no problem. The only problem is deciding which opening to attend.

No comments: