Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Port Brewing/Lost Abbey @ Union Jack's Inn on the Manatawny












It was a perfect fall day for Saturday's Port Brewing/Lost Abbey event at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. The event officially started at 3:00PM although some true beer heads arrived earlier in the day to kick off the festivities. This was my first trip to Union Jack's and the drive through the PA countryside was just long enough that Kelleigh started to question if I knew where I was going. Just as she finished her sentence Jack's popped up on the left.

Sample flights of 5 beers or 10oz individual servings were available. A total of 10 Port Brewing/Lost Abbey beers were on draft.

Flight 1: Santa's Little Helper Imperial Stout 9.5%, Hop 15 DIPA 10%, High Tide Fresh Hop IPA 6.5%, Shark Attack Double Red Ale 9%, Old Viscosity Strong Ale 10%

Flight 2: Wipeout IPA 7%, Gift of the Magi 9.5%, 10 Commandments 9%, Witch's Wit 4.8%, Judgement Day 10.5%










From the abv listings it easy to understand why everyone had a great afternoon. It was good seeing Big Dan making the rounds. We talked before I got too deep into the sampler so I believe most of what I said was coherent.










Besides the fantastic beers I discovered Union Jack's also knows how to do wings right. Crispy not slimy, meaty but not over sized and great sauces. Their bourbon BBQ had the perfect touch of sweet and tangy and worked well with the maltier ales. The high octane hoppiness of the IPAs matched the spiciness of the hotter sauces. It was all good.

It took a little extra effort to get there but Union Jack's Inn is more than worth a few extra miles on the odometer. Now that I have made the trip I am looking forward to my next afternoon of sipping beer on the Manatawny.

2 comments:

Dan Bengel said...

I was there? :>) Nice meeting Mrs.Parker. If you thought I was coherent, we're both in trouble.

Brian P said...

I do know that by the time I left my mind was a little hazy. Thankfully the lovely Mrs. Parker didn't mind driving the long road home.