Friday, October 31, 2008

All Hallows Eve Beer Night

Since it is All Hallows Eve I went into the beer fridge and pulled out the most appropriate bottle for the night. I came out with Shmaltz Brewing Company's Coney Island Freaktoberfest. I have to admit, knowing nothing about this beer, I bought it 80% because of the label and 20% because of what I have had from Shmaltz Brewing. The creepy smiling character on the label is enough to put a little scare in ya. If that doesn't do it then wait til this beer hits your glass. It pours a scary cherry soda red. Almost a fake movie blood color. The head is a finger thick and has the pink color of cotton candy. The smell is sweet and malty. Because of the color your brain wants to tell you there is berry in the aroma and taste but I don't detect it. The astringent medicinal quality is immediately apparent in the taste. My pallet doesn't mind a bitter stab but this is a little too grainy and sharp. The finish is nothing but bitter and it clings to the tongue well after the beer is gone. Shmaltz Brewing Company's Coney Island line has some interesting offerings. The Human Blockhead is my favorite so far, but the Freaktoberfest is just a bit too unbalanced to enjoy.




The final note on pumpkin beers.
As much as I love pumpkin I have reached my seasonal limit on pumpkin beers. Over the past few months I drank more off tasting beers than truly good ones. I really wish I had the opportunity to try more pumpkin stouts or porters. The idea of spicy pumpkin combined with a dark, rich, roasty stout is very appealing. I am surprised that more brewers don't head in that direction with their beers. This years pumpkins that made an impression were.

1. Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
2. Iron Hill Ichabod Imperial Belgian Pumpkin Ale
3. Elysian Brewing Night Owl Pumpkin Ale
4. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
5. Southern Tier Pumking
6. Cape Ann Brewing Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout

Now bring on the holiday beers!!!

1 comment:

Good Burp said...

I completely agree with you. I've had my fill of Pumkin. I am ready to see what the brewing santas will have for us this season.