Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Iron Hill's Ichabod Tapping


I am still ridding the pumpkin beer wave that sweeps through breweries this time of year. For many it is a love or hate ordeal when bottle shops and distributors cram shelves and isles with what seems like an endless selection of pumpkin beers. It's easy to understand how anyone can quickly burn out on this style. On the other hand I have always worshiped at the temple of the orange gourd. I make it a point to satiate myself on every pumpkin item available. This past Saturday I had the chance to satisfy my intense craving. The Pumpkin Fest at Iron Hill Brewery in North Wales was a pumpkin fanatics Shangi-La.

Ever wonder what it's like to tap a huge pumpkin full of beer? Head brewer Larry Horwitz and assistant brewer Doug Marchakitus not only tapped a pumpkin, they shared the autumn brew with fans who gathered for the event. The Ichabod Imperial Belgian Pumpkin Ale that poured straight from the giant squash was the perfect elixir for a dreary fall afternoon. Besides the Imperial Pumpkin, Iron Hill offered their regular Pumpkin Ale along with a menu full of pumpkin inspired dishes. I kept my insane craving in check and had only two glasses of Ichabod and a slice of pumpkin pie with bourbon whipped cream. A perfect autumn combination. Amazingly I remembered the video function on my camera so I took the opportunity to shoot the tapping.

Ichabod Imperial Belgian Pumpkin Ale

The beer poured a hazy brownish orange from the pumpkin. The small off white head quickly faded and created only minimal lacing. The aroma was filled with cove, nutmeg, banana nut bread and cinnamon. The flavor of fresh pumpkin was most detectable upfront however the classic pumpkin pie spices soon dominate the taste. The malt sweetness and spices remained mild and never took on the huge, "pie in a glass" quality. The alcohol does show in the finish but the 10%abv is surprisingly well hidden. The Ichabod Imperial Pumpkin Ale adds a nice Belgian twist to the ever growing pumpkin beer category.

No comments: