Saturday, June 13, 2009

PENGUINS WIN THE CUP!


I spilled a bit of beer jumping off the edge of my seat and screaming like a lunatic as the clock hit 00:00:00 in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. The Pittsburgh Penguins are 2009 Stanley Cup Champions. Well worth a little liquid sacrifice to the hockey gods.

The sacrificial beer was Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly. This big DIPA is sweet from go. Grapefruit and tangerine mixed with caramel and vanilla. The hops weren't as pronounced I'd expect. The oak works great with the style and I'm guessing it helps smooths out the hop sharpness. The noticeable hops are green/grassy and the bitterness is more noticeable towards the finish. The sticky factor is high so you wont forget this beer any time soon. I really enjoyed the effect of the wood and that's what notches it over regular Unearthly.

Now that the hockey season is over I can clear my mind of sports and devote my brain to the beer. Mr. Anonymous I am sure you are ecstatic. Just remember that football season isn't that far off. Go Steelers!!!


No comments: