Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Attack of the Wood @ The Institute's 1st Anniversary


As much as I am a hop head, lately my weakness is for beers from the barrel. Give me oak, whiskey, rum, bourbon, wine I have fallen for the wood aged brews. Last weekend at The Institute's 1 year anniversary gathering tucked into a good list of top beers were some very interesting beers from the wood.

Oh Canada
This was my first opportunity to taste the coveted Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout. This Imperial was aged in Kentucky whiskey barrels that were also used by a maple syrup maker. The deep dark stout has a lot going on. The aroma is full of oak and whiskey with a touch of coffee and molasses. Flavors of toasted malt, whiskey, vanilla, coffee and chocolate make it very complex. Surprisingly the maple was harder to catch and the beer wasn't overly sweet. I feel the Canadian wins over the Breakfast Stout and just edges out Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Here's wishing for the opportunity to taste all three at one sitting. If you see CBS on draft stop everything and get some while you have the chance.

A Pennichuck for Your Thoughts
Until Saturday I was a Pennichuck Brewing virgin. Now I am experienced. That experience came from the Pompier (English Style Barleywine Ale Aged in Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrels). This beer poured a deep brown with a thin white ring of bubbles. Fruit, malt sweetness and a bit of wood came out in the aroma. The smell suggests the typical sticky sweetness associated with barleywine. Combine that sweetness with whiskey aging and you would expect an overly sweet alcohol bomb. The alcohol is there at 12%, however the super sweet bomb never drops. There is a slight malt sweetness accompanied by an oaky even herbal taste. The wood aging imparts some interesting flavor twists and a mild whiskey character. Pompier means "fireman" in French and Pennichuck is committed to honoring firefighting men and women. I figures that we are all protected from an expected alcohol burn. This big beer delivers a nice warmth and always remains smooth. If you prefer a classic barleywine Pompier isn't it. It is a smooth barleywine sipper that doesn't require a cold day and a warm fire.

Lenny is No Joke
The regular Shmaltz Brewing He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. is a big spicy, malty, citrusy DIPA. Age that on Rye Whiskey barrels and you have a monster of a beer. The aroma is full of big whiskey, malt, oak and vanilla notes. The alcohol is there. Ooooh weeee whiskey! There is no sleeping through this 10% abv sipper. The malt sweetness is balanced well with the bitterness of the hops. I didn't pick up much rye in the flavor. Since I am not a huge rye whiskey drinker I'm not sure how much of that quality comes through. There is no real stickiness but the drinkability does take a hit from the alcohol burn. Even with the burn I really liked this beer. A good dose of DIPA and whiskey aging. Two loves wrapped up in one glass.

Unfortunately time didn't permit me to get to Founders Old Curmudgeon and I only had a small taste of the Southern Tier Cuvee 2. So no reviews for either. I did make sure to dive into the free buffet. The pulled pork and the salad with (I think) blue cheese and pineapple was delicious. If this is an indication of food options to come, the Institute will soon have more than great beer to serve.

No comments: