Monday, June 8, 2009

Catchin' Some Sculpin and Feelin' Stoopid


Last week I grew a year older and with some debate a bit wiser. When Kelleigh asked where I wanted to spend the evening celebrating the decision was easy. Knowing both of us were in the city after 6pm I figured we should head to Ballast Point Night at Devil's Den for a celebratory taste of Sculpin IPA.

The Devil's Den is one of those great places that I love but never find the time to enjoy. It's the same story with me and most places south of Washington Avenue. When I do get around to exploring South Philly and manage to make it in I always wonder why it took me so long to get back. The place never disappoints. The draft and bottle lists are both exceptional and the only problem is deciding what to order. No problem this time. I came for the Sculpin IPA and the Hop Stoopid was an added bonus.


Lagunitas Hop Stoopid DIPA
I seem to have a weakness for Lagunitas beers. I think my heart resides in Petaluma, CA. Lucky 13, Brown Shugga', Imperial Red, Cappuccino Stout and the series dedicated to Frank Zappa have all won me over. The Hop Stoopid is no different. Poured in a 10oz glass the aroma was sweet fragment hops. Citrus is king here. Grapefruit stands out with touches of orange. The aroma strongly suggests what's in order as far as taste. With one sip a big wall-o-hops came crashing down with smacks of grapefruit and pine. The malt offers decent balance but there is still some lasting bitter stabs to the tongue. The finish is slightly slick and sticky but hop heads rejoice there was no problem moving on to a second one. Highly recommended!


Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Oh the hop fish cometh! This is a beer I have already read (and written) much about. With all the praise swirling around the beer universe was it possible for it to live up to the hype? Is it truly worthy of all the beer geek admiration? Ohhh yeahhh! Now, I don't believe it's the end-all-be-all of beer, but it is a damn fine IPA. From the first sniff it's big floral citrusy hops: grapefruit, tangerine, a little apricot even some pineapple. The aroma makes you think DIPA but the taste is definitely IPA range. The tropical fruit bowl that wows the nose continues in the flavor. However, it's not nearly as pronounced. Don't expect much sweetness. There is only a mild malt presence. The piney hops take over in the end and it finishes on a bitter note. Sculpin has no problem surviving the hype. If you dig the hops and love a big beer do yourself a favor and search it out ASAP!



No comments: