Thursday, June 18, 2009

Faces at the Face Off


After going crazy for the past few days trying to find my camera and an SD card all is in order. As it is with most things it's just better to ask the wife before tearing the house apart. Time to get up to speed.


Last Saturday Ballast Point and Bear Republic squared off at TJ's in Paoli for a little CA beer smackdown. Four beers from each brewery were in the competition. Each beer was listed on the ballot and those who sampled were asked to rate them 1-10. Once the the ballots were collected and the votes tallied the overall winner in a close battle was Bear Republic with 809 points (B.P. 793). Detailed scores here .


The Sculpin was a big winner. No surprise there. Thanks Mr. Kolesar for reminding me I wasn't going to chase this beer around Philly. It's tough to resist this tasty fish. As good as the Sculpin was the Racer 5 on cask is the beer that really left an impression on me.

The 5 (cask) started with big aromatic hops, hops, hops and some caramel sweetness . The fruitiness showed on the first sip. Grapefruit and a bit of lemon with an herbal quality. The smooth and creamy mouth feel was a pleasant surprise. I should of expected that with the lower carbonation. The bitterness was there but it never smacked the mouth. Much more subdued than the bottle or regular draft version. This reminded me why I need to search out cask beers more often.

A bar full of joyous participants were on hand to pass judgement on all the liquid best from California. I'm sure some of the following faces are familiar. My guess is many will return next month when the focus shifts from CA to Michigan.


No comments: