Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Sweep with Railbender Ale


While watching the the Penguins and Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference finals last night I thought it was only appropriate to have a beer that showed my support for Pittsburgh. Maybe something from East End Brewing, Church Brew Works or Penn Brewery? No such luck. Unfortunately even though I spent the last few days in the 'Burgh I returned to Philly without picking up a single hometown bottle. The best I could do was pop the cap on a beer made 128 miles to the north. Railbender Ale from Erie Brewing Company.

Poured into a pint glass Railbender is dark copper in color with a finger thick white head that quickly thinned. The aroma is subtle malt and cereal with some background hops. It took a few strong whiffs and a swirl of the glass to really pick up the smell. The biscuity malt comes out first in the taste along with sweet caramel notes. This is light liquid bread. The hops that do come out remain mild. There is some fruit sweetness in the finish, nothing sticky, and the hop bitterness becomes a bit more evident. Not a wow me beer just a good comfortable Scottish Ale. Although at 6.8% abv it's above true session level, it's easy to drink and makes my personal session list.



SWEEP!
Pens win 4-1.
Nuff said until the the Stanley Cup Finals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

see, that's what i'm talking about. though you usually don't allow my posts chastising you about talking about sports, i'll give you credit for incorporating BEER in this one. that's all i'm asking for! you've got a good beer blog going, so keep it up!

Brian P said...

Mr. Anonymous I am glad you are pleased with the beer talk. The quick sports posts won't end until hockey does. Just be glad that I don't follow baseball.