Saturday, May 30, 2009

Paradise in Pittsburgh: Kaya


For me trips to Pittsburgh fall into a pattern. First, spend time with family then head out with friends later. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is the places I frequent. There's only a select few: Fat Heads, Smokin Joe's, Sharp Edge, Church Brew Works, Bocktown and D's 6 Pax & Dogz. As great as this beer trail is we all need a little life twist now and then. Since my only recent switch from routine was for the opening of the Hofbrauhaus I decided to make a run to an old favorite from the past.

Kaya is Pittsburgh's connection to contemporary Latin, Caribbean and Southeast Asian cuisine. The doors opened over ten years ago in the Strip District, an area famous for its thriving markets, specialty shops, bars, nightclubs and restaurants. Kaya introduced Pittsburghers to tapas. The idea of sharing several small plates instead of full sized entrees. Today tropas (tropical tapas) and entradas (traditional entrees) make up most of the flavorful fusion menu. Shrimp Fritters with Mango Chili Sambal, Yucatan Hot Bean Dip and Jamaican Jerk Wings with Cilantro Cream top my tropas list. On this trip I couldn't resist the Cuban Sandwich. A true meat and cheese lovers fantasy. Turkey, pork and ham covered in swiss with a touch of mustard. All perfectly pressed and served with sweet potato fries and aioli sauce.

Out of the 18 wall mounted draft handles behind the bar only a couple were marked for macro muck. To stand up to all those flavors on the plate I had two beers with a solid hop bite. I started with Boulder Brewing's Flashback Anniversary Ale and Finished with Stone's Arrogant Bastard. I'll give a review of Flashback along with some other India-Style Brown Ales later. Both pints paired well but Flashback was the better match for the tangy Cuban.


It had been a few years since I ate at Kaya and though some of my favorites were missing (no Conch Fritters) the menu, that changes daily, was fantastic. The atmosphere is warm and relaxed with ancient art and flair done right. It never hints of a Bahama Breeze tropical nightmare. If you're in Pittsburgh and want a taste of the islands Kaya is the place.

No comments: