Friday, May 1, 2009

Firewaters: Stone Night

As much as I wish I could go to every beer related event around Philadelphia, until someone gives me a check at the end of each week for spouting my thoughts I have to pick and choose wisely. My time limits had me choosing between Stone @ Firewaters and Founders @ The Drafting Room. Although The Drafting Room was scheduled to have KBS, Cerese (still haven't had it on draft) and four other Founders brews on tap, a chance to chat with Lee and sample from 10 Stone drafts at one sitting won out.

When I first heard that the event was at Firewaters in Concord I was a bit shocked. I knew they had a nice beer selection (50 taps & 101 bottles)but I had never heard of them doing a big craft promo. If this was there first they are starting off strong. Lee Marren worked his magic and brought in old favorites and some hard to find drafts.

Pale Ale
IPA
Ruination IPA
Arrogant Bastard Ale
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale
2007 Old Guardian Barley Wine
2007 Imperial Russian Stout
08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale
2006 Double Bastard Ale
2008 Old Guardian Barley Wine aged in red wine barrels


Just having the ability to dedicate that amount of space to one brewer and still have a huge selection was impressive. The guys at Firewaters, JJ and Jason (I'm terrible with names so I hope that's right. If I'm wrong let me know and I'll make the correction.) discussed how an encounter with Lee and his boss sparked the promotion idea and brought it to fruition. With that much space there was real motivation to put on some interesting choices. If this had been a weekend promo instead of a midweek the turnout may of been larger. Although, Pat (check below for the guy with the tattoo) had enough Stone enthusiasm to make up for any empty seats.

I hope this is a sign of things to come from Firewaters. My impression is that even though they advertise a great beer selection the proximity to Hooters and the party bar feel may deter some beer people. It shouldn't. I don't think every great beer bar has to be warm wood and low lights or have that classic corner bar feel. Mainly they need to have fresh beer, a good selection and people in charge who are passionate and know the business of beer. From the look of it they can check off all the above. More photos.











No comments: