Friday, September 12, 2008

WOW, Cool!


Is it bad that I bought this beer primarily because of the bottle? It's not even Rogue's best design. The 750ml, ceramic, swing top, series has better style. Even so the striking new red bottle looks pretty sweet in that bloody, death, pirate, skull kind of way. There is no doubt that it stands out from just about every other bottle on the shelf. To do that in a bottle shop or distributor with hundreds of beers on display is impressive. Regular Dead Guy Ale and I have a history. It was one of the first micros I regularly enjoyed. I remember buying cases of the stuff with friends years ago when Rogue wasn't as well known in the east. Today I still occasionally order one for old times. So, for me Rogue creates a bit of nostalgia. Seeing the Double Dead Guy tapped into that. The idea of a stronger, maltier, hoppier Dead Guy seems like a great idea. Seeing Double Dead on the shelf and knowing next to nothing about it I still figured I would get a pretty good beer. However, if I am honest with myself it's the flashy blood red bottle that got it from the shelf, to the register and then to my fridge. The label was that oomph that gave me reason to pull out the wallet. Once it caught my eye my mind instantly slipped into kid mode. Wow that's cool looking!!! I want it, NOW!!! The visual works. No doubt, for good or bad, Rogue will sell plenty of Double Dead Guy Ale because of a great package not just because of the product inside. We all know many lesser beers that talk taste and quality but live by the visual. I just hope that someday I don't find myself reaching for those cold blue mountains. Who am I kidding? No amount of marketing is that good.

No comments: