Sunday, September 7, 2008

Back to School



No not grad school or even Sunday school at Tria but rather homebrewing class at Keystone Home Brew Supply. I am finally taking that step to crafting my own beer. I have been thinking about doing this for many years and for one reason or another it has always been pushed back on the to do list. My interest was rekindled while at the Brew at the Zoo event at the Philadelphia Zoo this past July. I had the chance to talk with a few of the homebrewers and to sample several of their award winning creations. After discussing what classes were offered and learning how easy it is to get started I was hooked. I knew this time the big beer home experiment wouldn't simply fade to black. I am now ready to actually make the step towards brewing. The first thing I did was a grab a book on the subject just to get a better idea of what is expected. There are quite a few books on the subject and I know that Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is the homebrewer's bible but I purchased Homebrewing for Dummies, by Marty Nachel. I preferred the layout and detail given along with it's current updates. However from looking at both either one seems like a great starting point. Now that I have read the book it's time for Keystone's, Intro to Brewing class on Wednesday. Who knows where this will lead but it should soon turn my home into beer brewing central. I just hope that I end up creating something that comes close to resembling real beer.

No comments: