Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pliny Surrounded by Darkness












Two days ago I sat at TJ's Restaurant & Drinkery sipping a Pliny the Elder thinking, what an incredibly enjoyable rare beer find this is in Philly. My thoughts were reinforced as several people filtered in to enjoy this northern California treat. The bartender mentioned that he had received a few calls about growler fills (yes they are doing growlers) and didn't expect to see the beer make it through the weekend. Since I don't live at TJ's, my wife might not agree, because I do have other life activities besides drinking beer (really?) and I am trying not to do growlers, I am cutting back to loose weight, I thought that drink might be my last taste of the nectar of the hop gods. Oh how wrong I was. My local bar for great beer, Capone's, has given me a second chance at liquid pleasure. Today at 11:30 they will open up the taps on Pliny and several other highly rated beers. The line up isn't just a hop lovers dream come true. If you desire a dark, roasty, robust beer you will easily find satisfaction. There are three fantastic stouts and a top notch porter, East End Black Strap Stout, Church Brew Works Coconut Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout (no not the Kentucky breakfast) and Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. You have your choice of coconuts, molasses-brown sugar and oat-chocolate-coffee. How do you take your stout? The rest of Capone's list is equally impressive.

Bullfrog Bee Sting
Otto's Red Al
Rogue John Locker Stock "Brewer"
Weyerbacher Bravo
Dogfish Head Punkin
Stoudts Dunkel Weizen
Sly Fox IPA Project Cluster
Lakefront IPA
La Chouffe
Victory Fest Bier
Left Hand Twin Sister Double IPA

This isn't an official Thursday night event but with a draft list like that Capone's might be tonight's must stop destination for beer night. I know I'll stop in and I may need to fill a growler or two. So much for those diet plans.

No comments: