Monday, March 15, 2010

Thanks Rob for Stopping In & Offering the Bourbon Black

(Craft Ale House, Rob between Gary and Melissa Fry)

Last week as a ramp up to Beer Week(end) Rob Tod took over the city for the day making the rounds at Jose Pistola's, The Beer Yard, Teresa's Next Door and The Craft Ale House. I managed a quick stop at Teresa's for the cask Curieux but waited for the evening gathering at the Craft Ale House to seriously explore the Allagash draft list.

By the time the Rob Tod caravan rolled in I was surrounded by the Thursday night crew (you know who you are) and well into my first glass of the Bourbon Black. Allagash's Belgian Stout, aged for 10 months in bourbon barrels.

The first thing I noticed about this beer was the balance. Typically I love over the top bourbon/oak aged beers. A solid, boozy smack of bourbon to the taste buds is always fine by me. This is exactly what I didn't get with the Black. The aroma had lead me to believe the bourbon would land front and center dominating everything. Instead it came in subtle showcasing the chocolate, vanilla, fig and biscuit qualities. The burn free, smooth as silk finish at over 9% abv made it a comfortable sipper and a good introduction to bourbon aged beers. If you have the chance I highly recommend slipping into the Bourbon Black.

A shameless excuse to drop in some Pearl Jam.

No comments: