Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tomme, Lost Abbey, Port Brewing @ Memphis


Ok it's official Philadelphia is a great place for beer. How did I come up with this grand revelation of the obvious? Looking back on last week's beer activity, realizing what's going on this week and focusing on the events for March makes it clearer than ever. I'll say it again; it not Beer Week and the wow factor is in effect.

Time to catch up. Last week started off with a visit to Memphis Taproom. Tomme Arthur, in town for a dinner event at Monks Cafe, took time for a Meet the Brewer Night. The taps had an impressive mix of Lost Abbey and Port Brewing offerings. Mongo DIPA, Shark Attack, Red Poppy, Serpent Stout, and Older Viscosity were just a few of the drafts available. At the bar we were even greeted by Brendan who offer up a complimentary bottle of Carnevale to share. A huge thanks for that one.

Even with so many draft options my mission for the evening was to finally have the Older Viscosity. For whatever reason I've always missed the chance to taste this massive barrel aged beer. In preparation I started my evening with the wonderfully bitter hop rush of Mongo, moved on to the perfectly balanced sour Red Poppy and once settled in moved on to the amazing Older V.

As much as I love a big bitter DIPA and have learned the ways of the sours, right now my beer soaked heart belongs to barrel aged beers. The Older Viscosity had me from first sniff. Wow, a boozy blend of molasses, coffee, bourbon and even hints of chocolate. This easily falls into my category of beers I'd happily smell for hours. However why just smell something this wonderful? The taste matches the aroma for intensity. Think bourbon soaked raisins and toffee. The booze factor is there creating some warmth but it never became overpowering or unpleasant. Smooth all the way. The only thing stopping me from having another was understanding the drive in front of me. This beer is not to be missed.

Just so you know

If this post has tempted you in any way to seek out the beers mentioned you're in luck. Teresa's Next Door is holding a Tomme Arthur Day Saturday March 6th. 11:00-11:00pm, PAYG.

Planned Drafts
Angel's Share
Older Viscosity
Red Barn
Devotion
Ten Commandments
Santa's Helper
Gift of Magi
Hop15,
Wipeout
Serpent Stout
Moonlight Lager

No comments: