Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tis the Season for Smashing Pumpkins


Ahhh, a chill in the air, the vivid colors of fall and watching the kids run from house to house with overflowing bags of sweet treats. The only problem is it's the middle of August, 90 degrees, with rain forest like conditions that have nothing in common with a crisp fall day. So why did I have my first pumpkin beer of the season? It's just like buying Christmas items well before any of us have thoughts of sugar plum fairies dancing in our heads. Some may even say that I am late for my inaugural pumpkin beer tasting since these beers started hitting shelves in July. Brewers who do the pumpkin/fall/harvest beer thing are wise and look to stretch the season to make the extra buck. I'm not sure if Southern Tier Pumking was the first to hit shelves here in Philly. It's the first I noticed and the first pumpkin draft to fill my pint glass.




I am guilty of using the term pumkin pie in a glass all too often but it's very fitting for Pumking. When we think of pumpkin we're usually thinking pumpkin pie. When was the last time you actually tasted real pumpkin without all the pie spices? I'm sure the taste and aroma of pumpkin was in the glass, however the nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, graham cracker, spice blast is what came out on the first sip. The spice hit sharp and only smoothed a little toward the end. As much as I love pumpkin pie and enjoyed this beer, by the time I got to the bottom of the pint my pumpkin love was done. This beer is nice as a treat or to celebrate fall festivities, but you better LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pumpkin pie if plan on drinking several in an evening.



You knew this was coming!


No comments: