Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Coors Light Experience


BudMillerCoors sucks! How many craft beer drinkers have uttered those words without thinking twice? I know that I've said it too many times to count. Then I thought about it, when was the last time I actually had one? Is it fair for me to trash talk a product when I haven't tasted that product in years? My most recent macro experience was at a cookout in the city over a year ago when I sucked down a few bottles of Miller Lite. The group I was with loved it in college and many still love it today. As for a Bud or Coors Light it's been so long I can't remember. Since I seldom have nice words for the fizzy yellow, unimaginative, tasteless macro sludge, except to say they brew a damn consistent beer, I figured I'd have one before I spoke another unkind word. Then maybe I'd understand what possess soooo many beer drinkers to reach into the cooler to pull out a silver can wrapped in light blue mountains.

I had no plans on buying a six or even a single of Coors Light even for my little tasteless, oops, taste test. Luckily we recently had a birthday party for my mother-in-law and Kelleigh purchased a case of 10oz cans for the ladies. I am embarrassed to say that there is still a partial case in the basement and a few cold one's in the fridge.

I won't waste many words on the experience. One look in the glass confirms it's a light beer. An unmistakable ultra pale yellow pour. The odd, soapy adjunct aroma is unpleasing. A mildly sweet grain taste dominates and you would swear that no hops were harmed in the making of this beer. Overall it's barely more interesting than seltzer water. How is this considered beer?

I drank this along with other macros in college when taste wasn't important and I didn't know better. Why do people still love the Silver Bullet? Credit tons of cash pushed towards in-your-face marketing and advertising, unknowledgeable beer consumers, low cost and product familiarity. I don't think we all need to drink a mega hopped Imperial Sour Spiced Smoked Triplenator aged 4 months in bourbon barrels but for someone who is looking to just have a simple lager there are so many better choices. Yes, I know I am preaching to the choir. After I finished my little 10oz pour I fully understood why Coors makes it a point to go overboard pushing the ultra cold concept. No one wants to drink warm water.

No comments: