Friday, August 7, 2009

Fire + Meat + Beer = Good


In my sales life I lived by the K.I.S.S principle. Remember to Keep It Short and Simple. Last night I applied that idea to dinner. Four simple components pulled together to make a great meal. Meat (steak), starch (potato), vegetable (asparagus) and beverage (beer) was everything needed for a killer meal.

Anytime I get the chance to fire up the grill my inner caveman comes to life. This summer I’ve been in front of the flame no less than three days a week. Call it full on Cro-Magnon mode. Unlike my spear toting Cro-Mag brothers I only handled the meat to apply a nice spicy smoked pepper dry rub. I gave the asparagus a quick olive oil and garlic bath and the potatoes were seasoned with ground pepper, fresh basil and a little butter. The asparagus hit the grill first in the trusty seasoned grill pan and just as they started to get those dark roasted streaks the steaks joined them on the flame. The only part of the meal I won’t take credit for is the potato preparation. The mysterious Kelleigh worked her cooking magic on those. After a few minutes on each side the perfectly seasoned steaks hit medium and then took a spot on the plate next to the veggies and spuds. Dinner was served on the deck under the stars. Voila!


The beer component of this most perfect and simple meal was the all-too-affordable (under $4.00 for a bomber) Long Trail Double IPA. I’m not enough of a foodie to say that I chose this beer because it paired well with grilled meat and veggies. My insatiable craving for hops is the reason the cap was popped.

The Long Trail DIPA started off great. I don’t often make a big deal out of how a beer looks in the glass but from the murky orange hue to the pristine snowy white head this pour was primetime worthy. The aroma is fairly floral. Citrus and mangos mix with a slight booziness. From the smell I expected a sweeter beer upfront but instead it’s tarter with a grapefruit quality. The sweetness works its way in before the bitterness takes over the tongue for a nice finish. Overall the Long Trail DIPA has a good balance. Not too sweet or heavy on the bitter made for a solid DIPA experience. For the price you really can’t go wrong.

No comments: