Sunday, December 28, 2008

To the Victor Belong the Spoils


A few weeks back I had a friendly wager with Brian/ The Baltimore Beer Guy on the Steelers/Ravens game. The bet was simple; if the Steelers won I would get a couple bottles of fine craft beer from Baltimore. If Baltimore won I would make sure Brian received a couple bottles from Philly. I know that sending Pittsburgh beers would make more sense but living in Philadelphia obviously it's bit easier to search out unique beers from the area.

Ultimately I didn't have to ponder about what beers to pick out. As any football fan knows the Steelers came away with a hard fought victory. "To the victor belong the spoils...", so yesterday I received a box and inside were two fantastic bottles from The Brewer's Art. Resurrection Ale and Ozzy Ale are two of the Baltimore brewery's more well known and highly rated beers. From the Brewer's Art website:

Ozzy
Our answer to the Belgian «devil» beers (i.e. Lucifer, Duvel, etc.). Both rich and dry, this beer is all too easy to consume in large quantities. Hopped with Styrian Goldings.7.25%abv

Resurrection
During the fermentation of the first batch of this Abbey-style ale, the yeast «died» and was «resurrected» by brewer Chris Cashell. Made with five types of barley malt and lots of sugar, this beer is quite flavorful, without being too sweet.7%abv

At one time Brewer's Art beers could be found around Philadelphia and I remember spending evenings at North 3rd enjoying goblets of Ozzy. Or was it Resurrection? Either way those days are gone. Not long ago the brewery stopped distribution to Philly to better support the Maryland market. This makes me even more appreciative of the bottles that now reside in my beer fridge.

I want to give a huge thanks to Brian for the fantastic beer choice and if you haven't done it yet make sure to check out his site Baltimore Beer Guy. I plan on resisting the urge to open either bottle until the first Steelers playoff game. Since they have a bye it's going to be a painful couple of weeks.

No comments: