Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Craft Ale House: A View of Opening Night

Yesterday I managed to make it to the opening of the Craft Ale House on West Ridge Pike in Limerick. The place looks fantastic. Even in its newness it manages to give off that warm, worn in pub feel. The low lights, dark wood, neutral tones, and fireplace create an inviting environment. The large room is split by a partial wall. The bar area is to the left, the dining room on the right and a fireplace with an eye catching rustic mantel accents a sitting area near the front window. It's easy to envision planting yourself on the couch, relaxing and sipping on a pint of something malty in front of the fire.

A large chalkboard to the left of the bar lists the current drafts and from my seat I had the perfect view of 16 pristine taps and an impressive beer filled wall cooler. The draft lineup has some serious offerings. Dogfish 90 minute, Fantome Noel, Stoudt's Double IPA, Victory Old Horizontal, and Stone Arrogant Bastard to name a few. However everything wasn't high octane PBC's Kenzinger, Yard's Brawler and Sly Fox Keller Pils all come in under 5% for a more comfortable pint. I think you can get a good session in Mr. Bryson. Another cooler just beyond the bar allows customers to select from a wide variety of reasonably priced beers for take home. Soon growlers will also be available.

I had the chance to spend a few hours at the bar talking with the usual crew. Conversations seemed to be flowing around the bar, people were mixing and the overall feel was very comfortable. There is nothing better than going to a bar where you immediately feel welcome and can dive into good conversation. Along with the solid bar crowd families were enjoying meals at the surrounding tables and as time went on spots in the dining room filled.

With a need for food and a suggestion from the bartender I tried the peppery chicken tenders. I apologize for not remembering the name of the sauce but it was a good mix of spicy and sweet. The best thing was the tenders weren't the frozen, flat, bland, breaded tenders you get at most bars. These were fresh, well seasoned, flavorful and paired with a chunky blue cheese making them the perfect compliment to my Penn Brewing St. Niklaus Bock. I had heard that the owners really stressed fresh menu items and the tenders alone were proof of that.

From the size of the crowd to the comments flowing around the bar the afternoon and early evening seemed to be a success. Anyone who appreciates fresh beer and great food should make it a point to take the ride out to Limerick. Once there find a table, have a seat at the bar or simply kick back by the fire and grab a pint. While you're there make sure to talk with Gary and Melissa, the owners, and thank them for putting together a location that should please any beer aficionado. I can already see many treks down Ridge Pike in my not to distant future.

7 comments:

Kristen Weir said...

We went tonight for dinner and drinks. What an awesome place! In 2 days this was my brother's 3rd time going. The food was amazing and I was very impressed with the servers' knowledge of the beer and food. Not something you can find at other local places where they only recite what's written on the drink menu. I know we'll be making many treks there as well. The owners were really awesome and I hope (know) it will be successful!

Dan Bengel said...

Good talking to you the other night. Even though I am starting to sound like the really old uncle who shows up at a family function and starts carping about his health. Have a great New Year!

Brian P said...

It's always good to have a few and exchange crazy health stories. Hope all is great in the New Year.

David Powell said...

Thrilled to see a hip new watering hole open in the old Limerick Deli building. I'll be stopping in for a pint later this week!

Brian P said...

You wont be disappointed. The place has a great feel and oh yeah they serve a fantastic pint.

Lew Bryson said...

Glad someone's looking out for my session desires... And I'm looking forward to stopping in sometime soon.

Brian P said...

After reading your views on session beers and seeing the comments of fellow bloggers I have pledged that in the new year I will try more beer under 5%. I realize that it doesn't have to pack a punch to be appreciated.