Friday, November 21, 2008

A Long Soulful Journey

I experienced the perfect traffic storm on my way to the Sidecar Bar and Grille Thursday night.

Take rush hour (4:45pm), add in routes 422 and 76, then mix in a flipped truck and you have a two and a half hour drive from Audubon to Philly. Serves me right for moving out of the city. Fortunately my spirits were high knowing that soulful music, food and some of my favorite Michigan beers were at the end of the journey.











The Sidecar Bar is one of those places I wish I went to more often. It has that great warm neighborhood feel. The place is fairly small, dimly lit and was filled with a nice mix of people listening to the smooth sounds of New Holland's Soul Power Night. Kelleigh and I grabbed a table ordered drinks, food and had the chance to talk with Dr. Joel for a few minutes before dinner arrived. If you have the opportunity to bend his ear, do it. He is passionate about beer, New Holland and offers up some choice stories. As my first beer arrived I promised myself (and Kelleigh) a three beer limit for the evening. With so many beers available this wasn't an easy promise to keep. Since it was a New Holland Beer promo I made sure to enjoy a Cabin Fever (my favorite seasonal brown), Mad Hatter IPA and for dessert Dragon's Milk. My only regret was not tasting The Poet. My word is bond and I stuck to my limit. I'll rectify missing The Poet by getting a mix case of New Holland this weekend. Once our dinner arrived I dove into the savory meal so quick that I forgot to get a shot of the plate. Trust me it looked incredible. We each had BBQ short ribs, greens w/bacon, cheese grits, steamed string beans and sweet potatoes w/pecans. My only gripe; the sweet potatoes were a bit bland. My preference is a little more brown sugar. Everything else passed the home style cooking test. Our empty plates were proof of that. The Sidecar Bar and Grille is an inviting neighborhood corner bar that knows zestful comfort food and quality beer. I just need to find a way to return more often.

No comments: