Thursday, November 6, 2008

Comfortable at Capone's

I was looking over my posts for the past year and noticed that my most frequent label is Capone's. It's no wonder; it's the closest craft beer bar to my home. If someone were trying to hunt me down, the chances of discovering me there are pretty good. Sure, I am a regular but I travel to places all around Philadelphia. Now that I live further from the city my regular beer territory has greatly expanded. There is so much going on that I already can't expect to get to all the events and promos. Certainly playing favorites and hanging in one area isn't going to get it done. Still, Capone's continues to pop up more and more. I suppose if I lived in Northeast Philly the Grey Lodge would dominate my posts or if Port Richmond were home Memphis Taproom would show up here more than it already does. We all have the hometown spot that we find solace in. Location is part of it but Matt Capone manages to combine several elements that make for a great beer experience whether your local or a traveler.

First: The beer selection is always amazing.
Matt knows what the people want. You have 12 rotating taps and you can purchase any beer from the highly rated bottle shop to enjoy in the bar. This beats just about any other establishment for overall selection. Plus if you can't hang load up at the shop or grab a growler to go.

Second: Old school atmosphere.
There is nothing pretentious about the place. From the outside you would never expect the beer treasures that pour inside. I think that if their signage were different they may even get more beer business. Inside you are as likely to meet someone at the bar enjoying a flight of craft samplers as you are to rub elbows with a regular who never goes beyond ordering an MGD. People respect each other and their beer differences aren't an issue.

Third: Frequent beer promotions.
Every few weeks Matt puts together a promotion that brings out beer people from all areas of Philly. Whether its a special tapping of Pliny the Elder and Younger, a focus on a new brewery (Roy Pitz) or bringing in a brewer (John Jordan, Breckenridge Brewery) the beer events are always interesting and well attended. Expect to find more than a few Beer Advocates in attendance around the bar.

I have had some friends complain that the servers aren't well informed about the beers they are pouring. While I do enjoy places where the staff makes recommendations and are incredibly knowledgeable, because of it's classic neighborhood bar feel I never expected it at Capone's. Combine all the positives with a solid menu and good service and it's clear why they are a great beer stop.

Also
On my last trip in I had the Backwoods Bastard and Curmudgeon Old Ale from Founders Brewing. Both were amazing. This was the first time I had Backwoods on draft and it may of be the first time on draft in the Philly area.

The Backwoods Bastard is a big beer. One warning; if you don't like bourbon there is no point in getting this one. The aroma is bourbon, the taste is bourbon and it almost looks like bourbon. Give this beer a chance to warm up and once the head fades you may swear that it's liquor in the glass instead of beer. Lucky for me, I LOVE BOURBON, so this beer is heaven. However I would recommend the Curmudgeon over the Backwoods only because the alcohol taste is more subdued and the overall flavor is better balanced.

Current Capone's Draft List
Founders Harvest Ale
Founders Curmudgeon"Old Ale"
Founders Backwoods Bastard
2007 Troegs Mad Elf
South Hampton Double
Ithaca Apricot Wheat
Sly Fox IPA Project Pearle IPA
Weissennohe Monks Octoberfest
2007 Brooklyn Chocolate Stout
Legacy Dear Abbey Dubbel
South Hampton Double White
Church Brew Works Tripel
2007 Stone Oak Aged Bastard
Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin

New Draft Promo will be Dogfish Head Thursday Nov. 13 th "A great lineup of beers !

No comments: