Thursday, June 3, 2010

Heading into Philly Beer Week with Deschutes


Sad to say I'm still catching up on past activity on the eve of Philly Beer Week. It's a little difficult looking into the past when you know there's a hop behemoth lurking around the corner. However I'm also moving ahead and focusing on an event during the best week ever that is sure to get some attention. 

A couple weeks ago a friend of mine passed me a few great beers and I've been slowly working my way through them.  Thanks again Brandon, you rock! Two of the better choices that have filled a glass over the past few days are from Deschutes Brewery in Portland.  Inversion IPA and Green Lakes Organic Ale are my first experiences with Deschutes and if they are a good indicator of their other offerings I need to get my hands on more bottles.  The Inversion IPA starts off on the malty side with an orange and carmel sweetness.   Most of the bitterness holds off until the end.  Typically I lean toward an IPA with a good amount of hop bite but the malt forward side was a good change. The Green Lakes Organic follows a similar taste profile, sweet moving to bitter but was slightly more toasty and bready. Both had me wanting more when the last few drops were poured.

As luck would have none of us have to wait very long to get a taste of Deschutes.  The brewery is making its big premiere in the Philly market during Beer Week.  City Tap House is pouring 5 drafts (Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Black Butte Porter, Hop Henge IPA, Hop in the Dark Black IPA, and The Abyss Imperial Stout) on Sunday afternoon, 6/6 from 3-6pm, PAYG. Hopefully this is the beginning of a good flow of Deschutes into Philly.

Finally all caught up.  Time to let the week begin.

No comments: