Friday, August 20, 2010

Mr. Iambeerwise Goes to Washington



Next week I'm headed down to D.C. for a couple days. While I plan on taking in a good dose of all things historical, you can bet a few beer stops are in order. For the most part I'm exploring inside the Beltway, relying on the Metro and my feet to get me around town.  Thankfully the train system is fairly extensive and user friendly.  All perfectly color coded so that my urban transportation for dummies brain has no problem figuring out how to get from point A to point B.

Since my current cell phone is about as far from a smart phone as you can get I've gone old school with route planning.  I have no shame in using Google maps and Metro brochures covered with highlighter and beer notes.  I've targeted seven stops: 3 beer bars and 4 breweries. Each establishment is either A or B listed.  The A listers make up the don't think about missing it group. While those on the B list fall more in the if I have time category. Perfect world time management says I'll get to them all. Somehow I don't see that happening. I won't say what places are on which list but here are the planned beer-centric stops.

RFD Washington
Capitol City Brewing Co.
Old Dominion Brew House
Birch & Barley/ Church Key
Brickskeller
District Chophouse & Brewery
Gordon Biersch Brewery & Restaurant

I've been to Capitol City Brewing Co. when there was a location in Baltimore and a few years ago I went to Gordon Biersch in San Francisco.  Everything else is completely new territory so I am open to comments and suggestions. If you have any insider knowledge let me know the good and the bad.  Also, if there's a great beer spot that you consider a can't miss tell me about it and I may slide it into the agenda.

No comments: