Friday, July 2, 2010

Founders Nemesis


In an effort to help give the wonderful Kelleigh her fridge space back I've started clearing out some of those pesky beer bottles.  Since the purchase of a new and improved beer fridge is a day away I had no choice but to open the Founders Nemesis.  Darn the luck! 

As much as I surf the monster hop wave I currently can't get enough of the barrel aged brews.  I've totally embraced the current aging movement.  The popularity of beer done in former wine, rum, whiskey and numerous other spirit vessels is on a rise and I'm praying it's an upward trend that is here to stay.  Topping my list are beers done with bourbon. Oh Nemesis label you had me at "Maple bourbon aged wheat wine"

Come on, really? Maple and bourbon playing nicely with a wheat wine.  I went into this thinking liquid heaven and wasn't disappointed.  After some time in the glass to warm up the aroma hit big, big,big.  Everything from bourbon (go figure), hot buttered rum, vanilla and I swear buttered popcorn appeared. The taste isn't nearly as potent but does follow the aroma's lead.  Maple syrup, butterscotch and oak all mingle with the hot bourbon. The surprise is Nemesis is never overly sweet. Great balance.  Since the alcohol is very noticeable some time in the cellar is needed to make this one the perfect evening sipper.  Too bad I only had the one.

No comments: