Thursday, July 29, 2010

Craft Ale House, Habitat for Humanity and Beer & Food Bliss


Kelleigh and I did a rare Monday night out to support Habitat for Humanity at Craft Ale House.  All the usual suspects were in house for the charitable cause, to cheer on guest bar tender Matt Guyer and of course to imbibe on the special beers of the evening.

Being Christmas in July the evening was full of giving.  First I gave unto myself a magical pint of Troegs Barrel Aged Citra (Citra of Brotherly Love).  Lucky that I did since the firkin kicked about 20 minutes after I arrived. Serves me right for showing up late.  A few weeks back at TJ's I tasted the standard variety Citra during a tribute to PBW but this oaked out version was definitely a different animal.  It started fruity and hoppy but as it warmed the oak and vanilla took over in a big way. Nice flavor change going on. The hops rebounded in the end for a touch of bitterness that stayed on the tongue.  This is the kind of beer that makes you understand why cask ale is so good. 



After an amazing meal. I'd kill for the muscles with bacon anytime.  Kelleigh and I dove into the peanut butter pie and discovered the secret to wedded bliss.  Simply pair the pie with a glass of Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti then vadda boom, instant happiness! It's combinations like this one, even as obvious as it is, that have me believing I've got a handle on food and beer match ups. My jumbled words won't do it justice but think sweet, rich, creamy chocolate and peanut blending with the smooth dark chocolate, malt and oak of the beer.  The right amount of sweet and bitter were present.  This was the perfect way to cap off a great Monday night.

No comments: