Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What Snow (Sat)? Iron Hill Brewery Belgium Comes to West Chester


When the snow starts falling there are two ways to handle it. Some will prepare for the worst and hibernate until the world is somewhat back to normal. The second approach is to take the wintry challenge head on and not let it stand in the way of getting things done. This was the attitude of Larry, the Iron Hill W.C. crew and all those who ventured out to Belgium Comes to West Chester on Saturday. No stinking 20+ inches of snow is enough to keep man and beer apart.


After clearing out my little section of the world Kelleigh and I headed out and arrived around 4:30 to a packed house. This year's set up was great. The Iron Hill team used their heads, organizing the 30 beers available into 3 groups of 10 sample pours each. Brilliant! It made navigating a monster beer list and picking samples simple. Of course regular pours and individual samples were also available. I made the difficult decision to have only one (damn) tray (sample #2) along with a few side pours. For those in the know (I hope you read this) the extra treat was in the brewhouse. The cleverly done Brew Lounge gave everyone the opportunity to sample 4 of Larry Horwitz and Jean Broillet's specialty beers. A very nice touch.


An extra huge thanks to Bryan Kolesar for allowing me to partake in the bottle of New Belgium La Folie. Go figure I ran into him in The Brew Lounge. If you don't know, I'm the cheerful one on the left trying to hold back my excitement. I must of been in a state of good beer shock. And this year's Belgium Comes to West Chester certainly provided plenty of that.

No comments: