Monday, February 15, 2010

Nugget Nectar Takes On the Heat


This week in the spirit of Mardi Gras I attacked the kitchen, which still hasn't recovered, to concoct my version of Jambalaya. I had assumed that most people knew what the spicy Cajun/Creole dish was until I mentioned it to a co-worker who looked at me in a state of culinary confusion. For her and others who might not know Jambalaya is a dish made with meat (chicken, sausage & shrimp), rice and vegetables (onions, peppers, tomatoes & celery). My twist is to up the spices and drop in a little beer. The minimal use of beer isn't as much for taste as it's a reason to flip the cap off another beer. Although since I add a stomach twisting amount of Dave's Insanity Sauce to my portion more beer is an obvious necessity.

And what beer goes with this intense dish? According to He Said Beer She Said Wine the perfect accompaniment is a, "big, bold, hoppy beer to stand up to the richness of the dish." Troeg's Nugget Nectar offers a serious hop hit that seemed fitting. The big amber's citrusy hops and light sweetness melded well with the Jambalaya's spicy heat and richness. This food and beer combo seemed obvious. I get the spicy, spicy thing but at the end of the meal my abused tongue could of used relief from any cold beer, hoppy or otherwise.


No comments: