Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let it Snow. I've Got Reading Material and Beer


This weekend I talked about those who hibernate during snowy conditions and people who venture out into the middle of the action. For Smowmageddon 2 I decided to to take the more passive approach and stick close to home. Since it was an official day off work and my only responsibility was to keep the driveway clear, no small task, I broke out some recently received beer related reading material.


Nearly a week ago I opened the pages of my first copy of All About Beer. I owe my new subscription to Alan McLeod over at A Good Beer Blog. He judged one of my beer pictures as prize worthy for this year's photo contest. What's great is this is just the start of a year of great beer reading. Thanks Alan.


The end of last week also brought a box to my door from Barnes and Noble. The wonderful Kelleigh gave me a $20 gift card for Christmas and I've used it wisely. You can see the three books I am currently working my way through. He Said Beer She Said Wine, Tasting Beer and Christmas Beer. I've dedicated most of the day to Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer in preparation for the Michael Jackson Tasting in March. So far it's a great read and goes quite well with a bottle of Yard's Tavern Porter. I've also read a few pages of Christmas Beer. Talk about a book that puts you in the mood for a good beer. The only problem is I don't have a single beer mentioned in Mr. Sixpack's pages. Bad planning on my part. On a day like today any of them would be fitting.

What I do have is a bottle of Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu that I'm sharing with Kelleigh as the storm slowly rolls to a close. It's sweet and herbal with hints of toffee and honey. Grapes come out in the aroma but are more dominate in the taste. The aftertaste even reminds me of a Riesling. Chateau Jiahu will definitely open the eyes of many wine fans.

It's appropriate that Kelleigh, Ms. Wine Fanatic, loves this beer along with, He Said Beer She Said Wine. She's already claimed Sam and Marnie's book so I won't see it for awhile. No problem. At least I have the beer and Mr. Mosher's book to get me through this wintry blast.

Back to reading.

No comments: