Monday, December 28, 2009

Brooklyn Black Ops: Show Me the Money


A few years back if you would have told me I'd spend close to $30.00 for a bottle of beer I would have called you crazy. Oh how things have changed. After a quick stop at TJ's (only had one beer during the tap special) on Wednesday I walked out with a $29.00 bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops (750ml). This eclipsed my previous most-money-spent-on-a-beer purchase, The Bruery's Papier (750ml), by $4.00. That beer is currently in my cellar aging nicely. I'm sure some of you think all this financial belly aching over beer is silly. Wine connoisseurs don't think twice about spending much, much more on a great bottle. I understand that ounce for ounce when stacked against wine and taking into consideration the time and effort to produce the finished product, the value is obvious. Still my old school miserly self cringes with sticker shock wondering if the expected mega hype instead of the quality is what really drives the price.

Overall is it worth it? For me, hell yeah! It was during Philly Beer Week 08 I first had the deliciously smooth bourbon aged stout and it was love at first taste. Thanks again Ed for picking up the bottle. I need to make sure you're around when I open this one. Hands down it is one of my favorite bourbon aged beers. After sharing that bottle at Tria, later the same night I ended up meeting Garrett Oliver during a Brooklyn Brewing event at London Grill. After gushing about my love for all-things-Brooklyn and trying to sound knowledgeable about beer I jumped at the chance to have the bottle signed. Yes, I became that beer geek guy. I have no shame. Hey, we all have our rock stars.

Next year I'm sure I'll again seek out the Ops, bitch about it being even more expensive, grumble under my breath and hand over the cash. Hmmmm, sounds like a new warm and fuzzy holiday tradition. Cheers!

No comments: