Tuesday, December 1, 2009

BLACKENED by BROOKLYN


Wow what a week it has been. Sorry for the little hiatus from my, so called beer life but work and family life took over the drivers seat. I'm sure all of you happily survived the turkey holiday and the Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping madness. I survived by stuffing my fat face and not going anywhere near a store or shopping website. If history is a guide I probably won't start knocking people off my shopping list until the weekend before Christmas. Call me Mr. Procrastination.

While sugar plum fairies invade the sweet, cheerful dreams of many my thought are on things roasty, malty and bold. With a chill in the air tis' the season to go dark (even black). Put down the IPAs and wheat beers and pick up the Stouts, Porters, Barleywines and seasonal ales. Even a hop head like me can't resist. Two beers I look forward this time of year are Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Black Ops. While we all have to wait until Dec 10th (or so) for Black Ops, Mr. Oliver promisses the same recipe as last year and a slightly higher abv (11.7%). I've already experienced my first bottle of Black Chocolate Stout.

Years ago Black Chocolate Stout was my introduction to Brooklyn Brewery. This year's version of the Imperial Stout as expected offers a good flavor combination of roasted malt, coffee and bitter chocolate. The look is black, black, black in the glass with a thick mocha head. It seemed a little sweeter than in past years and was best once it hit room temperature. If you have never had this 10% + abv black delight don't expect a smooth chocolate milk shake effect, e.g., Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Mr. Oliver has harmed no chocolate pieces to make his beer. The chocolate refers to the specially roasted malts. Now all I have to do is happily sit back in my big leather chair, sip on a few more of these and patiently wait for the Ops to arrive.

A GREAT BLACKENED PERFORMANCE

No comments: