Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Surprise from the Wood



After 18 months of marriage I finally get a home cooked meal! More specifically it's been 18 months and Kelleigh and I have finally opened the slow cooker we got as a wedding present in an effort put it to good use. I'm not exactly sure what took us so long to drag it from the cellar but we should of been using this thing a long time ago. The whole idea of tossing meat, veggies, spices potatoes and whatever from the fridge into a cooker in the morning and having a meal by the end of the work day is brilliant. Our first official meal; pot roast, potatoes and carrots seasoned in a pepper and garlic sauce. Perfect. The beer for the evening Great Divide 15 Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA.

Many of you are aware that I am riding the whole barrel aged, wood, oak, bourbon, brandy wave for all it's worth. Since I'm fond of scotch and bourbon its no wonder I love great beer aged in those barrels. Naturally some beers work better than others. So far I prefer Barleywines, Stouts, Doppelbocks and Old Ales taking on the qualities of barrel aging. The idea of a hoppy IPA or DIPA spending time in the wood just isn't as enticing. However I tipped back my glass of GD's 15th Anniv. with an open mind.

To my surprise it worked, and quite well. The malt is big and upfront, while the hop fruitiness is pushed to the back and more noticeable in the finish. There is a sweetness with touches of vanilla, orange and toffee mixed with the oak. With an abv of 10% and the barrel aging I expected more booziness. Instead the alcohol is pleasantly warm and not overwhelming. I now know not to look past a DIPA that's spent some time in the barrel. I only wish I had purchased more than one bottle.

2 comments:

Dan Bengel said...

I have to agree that Great Divide really nailed that one. Maybe a barrel ageed IPA event down the road would be fun, and deadly to our taste buds.

Brian P said...

When it happens I am there.