Thursday, July 23, 2009

First Taste of Exit 11


My totally unorganized life has me yet again playing catch up. While most of the timely beer bloggers around Philly have long since covered the release of Exit 11, I sat here watching an unfinished post get older and older. Don't look at this information as ancient, consider it nicely aged.

Last week on Wednesday evening (has it been that long?) I made a rare midweek journey to Center City for one of the two Flying Fish Exit 11 release parties. The celebration at Varga started at 7pm and we rolled in fashionably late at 7:30. I'm not sure what a typical Wednesday for Varga looks like but the place was jumpin'. Cafe seating, inside tables and bar stools were all filled with those enjoying Flying Fish's offerings along with the rest of a great beer line-up. After squeezing into a spot at the bar I soon had my first pint of Exit 11.

Bright and hazy yellow in the glass this beer gave off a nice citrus (lemony), bready, wheat aroma. Sweet Apricot and tangerine flavors mix well with the bitter hops. There is also a good bit of breadiness and big wheat flavor that's very Belgian-like. This beer screams summer. As much as I like Hefeweizens and Witbiers the summer American Wheat Ale explosion has won me over. A wheat beer with more hops and less of the traditional spiciness is my warm weather go to brew. Exit 11 runs a very close second to Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale for my top beer of the summer.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Exit 11 is great. I had it at the last Tasting on Tuesday, that I need to post. We all said that it was a better beer than Exit 4. I also had the Sumpin, Sumpin at the ToT on the 14th. It's a tough one. They are both great beers. I may be more partial to the 11.

Brian P said...

You are right they are both fantastic beers. There is just something (sumpin')about the hop profile in Sumpin' Sumpin' that has me hooked. You just can't go wrong with either beer.

Kevin said...

You absolutely can't!