Tuesday, July 28, 2009

$$$ Beer $$$


Last Friday I set a personal record. I spent $25 on one bottle of beer. The big twenty five had me walking out of Capone's bottle shop with a 750ml of The Bruery’s Papier (75% oak aged ale & 25% ale aged in bourbon barrels, 14.5% abv). Sure, the cost is nothing earth shattering. I know some of you have spent far more on other bottles. When I typically drop that kind of cash it’s going towards a bottle of bourbon or scotch. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about the price. I reserved the bottle and went in expecting to kick out that kind of coin. I'm just amazed that I actually did it. As much as I understand great beer and know what it takes to produce a serious beverage, part of me still has it ingrained in the grey matter that beer shouldn't be overly expensive. That pricey stuff is for wine folk to sip on and brag about. Obviously that’s no longer the case.

I've been lucky enough in the past to have a few close encounters with big money beers. However, in most cases it wasn’t my wallet taking the hit. My first taste of Sam Adam's Utopias came courteous of a friend who works for Boston Brewing. He poured it for a select few at his wedding reception. The same friend also sent me a bottle of Westy 12 that now resides in my cellar. A huge thanks Mike!! You’re the best. During Philly Beer Week I shared a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops (Garrett Oliver was nice enough to sign the bottle) with a friend at Tria. A monstrous thanks to Ed!! Most recently I was even lucky enough to sip the elusive Lost Abbey Angel's Share. Not a bad experience in the bunch. All carry a pretty hefty price tag here in PA but in each case my pocket felt no pain. Now before I am tagged a big time mooch realize that I do take care of those who take care of me. No friendships were harmed over these big cash brews.

After tossing out the cash for such a nice bottle my next delema was who do I drink this with? Who is worthy? Another thought was to cellar it for a few years. As much as I want to keep it cellared, I have a much stronger desire to see it in a glass. With a planned gathering in a few weeks of some good beer friends and our wives I don't think the bottle will go unappreciated. I just hope I have the strength to wait that long to open it. Either way it's beer money well spent.

No comments: