Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Big Basket of Fruit (Beer)

Fruit beer has never excited me. I don't mean fruit Lambics. When it comes to Lambics I definitely have my favorites: kriek, framboise, peach, apricot and others. I prefer tart or sour over sweet but that's even good occasionally. When I say fruit beer I mean flavored ales. These beers typically spring up when the warm weather hits and it's time for something refreshing and trendy. Blueberry had its day and so did strawberry. This year can you say watermelon? Now before anyone says it's a masculine hang-up or that I think these are girly beers, understand that I enjoy Lindemans Kriek and Peche, have tossed back a few Dirty Hoes (Framboise & Hoegaarden) and sipped on a Southern Tier Creme Brulee. I am very secure with what I drink. My past experiences with fruit beer simply haven't left a good impression. Sugary sweet, no real fruit taste, overly bland or the fizzy soda effect, it's all been bleak. That's why I decided to pick a few fruity brews and give them a fair shot.

Mango
"You can not have'a the Mango". "No...yes..no". Some of you will get that. In this case you can have the mango in your beer. Tropical Mango Pale Ale from St. John Brewers in the Virgin Islands is what you might expect from a tropical based brewer. A light crisp ale.

The sweet smell of mango dominates. It leans more towards a syrupy candy mango than a natural fruit aroma. I expected a candy blast but surprisingly the sweetness is more subtitle in the taste. The brewer says it's a "light pale ale with a mango fruit essence". Essence, I think that mean no actual mangos were harmed in the making of this beer. Everything else here comes up bland. It's only slightly hoppy with very little bitterness and not much malt to speak of. Average at best. To fully appreciate this beer a towel spread out on a sandy beach under the Caribbean sun is needed.

Banana
Sticking with tropical fruit this beer comes from a very nontropical place, England. Wells Banana Bread Beer sounds too good too be true. The taste of fresh banana bread from a glass. It's somewhat true.

The banana bread is in the aroma but it's not overpowering. It's a subtle combination of real banana and the candy flavoring. The label states that fair trade bananas were used in the brewing. The taste isn't too sweet, so no sugary beer here. The fresh banana is there from start to finish. I even wish the flavor were a little stronger. There's only a hint of hops and a little bitterness comes in at the end. Not bad. It's gimmicky and one of those beers you might get because you want something different (or you're doing a post on fruit beers). I prefer a good Hefeweizen with esters providing that great banana effect and delivering overall a better beer.

Watermelon
The first time I had watermelon beer was years ago at Boston Beer Works across from Fenway Park. I think it was served with a slice of watermelon on the rim, seeds and all. I don't remember the taste, but I know I didn't think it would catch on. Jump ahead a few years and look what's brewing for the summer. Roy Pitz Brewing and 21st Admendmaent have both hit the area with their melon best. Since my butt hasn't been on a Capone's bar stool in weeks Roy Pitz was out and a can of Hell or High Watermelon was in.

This is definitely a wheat beer. A slight malty, wheat and spice character with a touch of lemon. The taste follows the aroma. Wheaty, lemon a touch of hops then at the end the watermelon comes through. There is some fruit sweetness but it stays light and crisp. Thankfully this is far from a watermelon explosion. H or HW would pair great with an afternoon of grass cutting or as a way to introduce someone to craft beer.

I thought I was done with the fruit beer tasting when Kelleigh pulled this from her beer stash.

Blueberry
Oh those tricky folks over at InbevAB having fun with the Blue Dawg Brewing name. For shame! Wild Blue Blueberry Lager is macro all the way. We have always been taught "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". So, my words about this beer are few.

Bluish pink, artificial blueberry aroma, alco-pop influenced, candy sweet, boozy swill. A sugar rush, yes. Beer, no.






A taste of Mango

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My two cents.. none are great but:
The best by far is the 2st Admendment Watermelon... light refreshing beer with just a faint hint of watermelon. I could see drinking a couple during a BBQ

2nd best, ST Johns Mango Pale Ale... really just a medium level pale ale with slight "somethin somethin" subtle sour\sweet. Nothing too offensive but nothing too great.

3rd place, Well's Banana Bread Beer... maybe it's just me or maybe I had a bad bottle but just had an odd flavor to me. A bit sulfury or something. Didn't care for it and I agree with beerwise in that I'd prefer a good wheat or wit.

4th, Blue Dawg Blueberry Lager... really not my thing. I could maybe see drinking an 8 ounce glass with a dessert maybe.. maybe..

Last, Roy Pitz Watermelon... i haven't had anything by this brewery that I've liked. I guess either I'm in the minority, or they have inside deals with some of the local suburban phily pubs (Capones, Union Jack's, Drafting Room), because their beers keep showing up and are spotlighted. This beer came across as really low quality home brew. I've judged home brew competitions and there is lots of stuff that it is up to par with many craft breweries, but Roy Pitz almost feels like they made the jump to craft brewing a bit too soon...
or maybe they do make some good beer in 5 gallon batches and are still trying to figure out how to produce larger quantities. Either way, this beer is off balance, watery, grainy, and has an artificial candy flavor to it. I'm not a fan.