Monday, April 20, 2009

Who Put Beer in the Movies and Caffeine in My Beer?


After reading all the reviews for Beer Wars I'm not sure if I should feel good for not going or disappointed that I wasn't part of the experience. There's a lot of love and hate swirling from blog to blog about the documentary. What does seem fairly consistent are the negative comments about Rhonda Kallman's (CEO/Founder New Century Brewing) caffeine infused beer, Moonshot. The description and marketing position it more as an alcoholic energy drink, than a well crafted coffee ale. Think Bud's B-to-the-E not Southern Tier's Jah-va. I'll have to wait until I get a bottle of the high buzz brew before I toss in my two cents about the taste. What I do find interesting is that someone who was an integral part in the early success of The Boston Beer Company is now pushing more gimmick than craft.

The Beer Wars talk got me thinking about a movie that came out a few years ago about a group of friends who travel from Brooklyn with a mission to visit 38 breweries in 40 days. The documentary American Beer was released in 2005 and is currently on DVD. Two of the participants Paul Kermizian (director/actor) and Jeremy Goldberg are now both involved with the beer industry. Jeremy is Head Brewer and co-founder of Cape Ann Brewing Company in Gloucester, MA and Paul is co-owner of Barcade in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Don't worry you won't need a beer to enjoy the film but it wouldn't hurt to have a couple to set the mood. Cheers!



2 comments:

Good Burp said...

Don't worry. You will get your chance to see Beerwars on DVD. As a Beer Snob, it was fun to watch a movie about beer. I was enjoyable, and educational. Your comments about Rhonda are spot on. A Gimick beer from a founder of Boston Beer was bothersome. It wasn't about the beer, it was about the sales for her. So much in fact that she attempts to "sell out" to Miller and/or AB. It was sad.
Thanks for the tip about American Beer. I am going to track it down.

Brian P said...

I will check it out when the DVD is released. American Beer is a fun film. I remember thinking as I watched it, what a great road trip experice. Why didn't I get a few friend together and do this? The movie can be a bit hard to find and be careful there is another movie out with the exact same name.