Thursday, April 16, 2009

Beer By the Numbers

Someone anonymously commented the other day that recently I've been obsessed with sports and should focus more on the beer. I would of posted the comment however an accidental delete (honest) has flushed those, oh so eloquent words to the great beyond. So, to appease my no name commenter I'll briefly stop talking sports, specifically hockey, and focus on the beer. I will however take a cue from baseball and bring out some interesting stats.


The Brewers Association, the trade association for the craft beer industry, recently released their annual, all important beer sales statistics. The two lists, the Top 50 Craft Brewing Companies and Top 50 Overall Brewing Companies (both based on beer sales volume) for 2008, contain a few familiar names from the Philadelphia area. On the craft side Victory Brewing (#35) was the sole PA brewery to make the list. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (#22) in Milton, DE was the only other area brewery to place in the top 50. PA fared a bit better with the numbers when it came to overall brewing companies. D.G. Yeungling and Son (#5)took the top spot in the Keystone state. Further down the list were Iron City Brewing (#13), Victory Brewing (#46) and Straub Brewery (#47). Dogfish Head Brewery slid in at #33. Looks like we all need to buy a few extra cases to get those numbers up.


California dominated all states with 18 breweries named between the two lists. A more detailed analysis on the craft beer sector for 2008 will be released on April 22. The complete industry analysis is scheduled for publication on May 19th in the May/June issue of The New Brewer.

2 comments:

Good Burp said...

Don't listen to them. I LOVE baseball. To be honest, that is the reason I have been lacking with my posts lately. My Fantasy Baseball teams are up and running. I spend so much time looking over stats, it makes me sick. Not to mention that I have season tickets to the "Local Team". No time. No time at all.
So do what I did.
Start another blog (Man, was that stupid) to talk about everything else other than beer.
But beware, you might fall into the funk that I did. But youk now what, it is so worth it.
GO "Local Team". Phillies are hurting buddy.

Brian P said...

This blog will always be dedicated to the drink of choice. However I'll continue to pop in a blurb or two on sports or other things that twist and turn in my mind. As good as doing another blog sounds I doubt I'd keep up with it. One is enough for me.