Monday, February 16, 2009

Oh So Lucky Weekend: Friday the Firkinteenth


Love was in the air this past weekend and so was the smell of cask beer pouring at the Grey Lodge Pub. This past Friday was the first of three, of this year's Friday the Firkinteenths. The cask ale event always brings in swarms of real ale fans to the northeast pub to drink some of the freshest beer available. Last year was my first FTF experience and I couldn't wait for my second go around. The only change I wanted to make this year was to arrive early enough to secure a seat at the bar. I know some of you like to work the crowd but I was looking for more of a lazy day of sampling versus swimming through the masses to get a beer. Arriving just after 11:00 I found my spot at the bar and flexed my drinking muscles for the first wave.

Scoats tapped the first keg around noon to the cheers and clicking cameras of real beer fans. The masses had every reason to be happy on the supposed most unlucky day of the year. The beer line up was great from go. A few stand out for me were the California Dreamin' Double IPA from Manayunk Brewery. It was shocking if only for the way it looked in the glass. The overly cloudy orange color made it look more like juice than beer. The grapefruit hop quality came out quick along with a nice sweetness that lead to a slightly bitter finish. For a DIPA it seemed almost too easy to drink. The tapping of Nugget Nectar caused the biggest frenzy. I don't know the actual time it took to finish the firkin but there may of been a point where no other beer was being poured. It seemed as if every arm was reaching out for the hop bomb. As quick as it arrived it was kicked. Even though I loved the Nectar my favorite beer of the day was The Bruery's Saison De Lente.

The Bruery is located in Placentia, CA just outside Anaheim and thanks to Bella Vista their beers are starting to pop up in the Philadelphia market. I haven't had a ton of saisons but Saison De Lente is a good one. The beer is citrusy with earthy character, grassiness, some light funk from the Brett and drinks dry and crisp. It was one of those beers I could lounge back with and drink all afternoon. I know at 6.5%abv it's no session beer however if you have been drinking heavy winter beers and tipping back Double IPAs like me Saison De Lente is a nice switch. I've already circled The Bruery events at Capone's and Devils Den during beer week.

Meet the Brewer: Patrick Rue of The Bruery 10:30 AMCapone's 224 W Germantown Pike Norristown, Pa 19401
Details
When: Sunday, March 08, 2009 10:30 AM
Price: $PAYG
Come hang out with one of the newest Belgian-style American brewers, Patrick Rue. He will have on hand some of his finest


Devil's Den Bruery Night & Firkin Tapping 7:00 PM Devils Den 1148 S. 11th Street Philadelphia, Pa 19147
Details
When: Monday, March 09, 2009 7:00 PM
Price: $PAYG
We will be tapping a firkin of Saison De Lente, the spring
seasonal of The Bruery from Orange County, Calif.

As expected Scoats did another fantastic job with the event. Because I am always out the door before 5:00pm I never get to experience the after work crowd. I would love to hear what it's like at the Grey Lodge later in the day. Since the next Friday the Firkinteenth is during Philly Beer Week expect an even bigger turn out. Scoats has already posted the details and the event will start at an earlier time. Getting a seat at the bar maybe a bit more challenging. Good luck.

No comments: