Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Belgian Style Break: Resurrection Ale

During our big move this past week I found time to stop for a moment and taste a bit of Baltimore or Royersford depending on how you look at it. A bottle of The Brewer's Art Resurrection Ale that I received from the Baltimore Beer Guy has been residing in The Beer Fridge since the Super Bowl. My original plans were to use it to toast a Steelers victory but even though the Steelers were victorious the cork was never popped on this Belgian style ale. Now during the big move with all my beer in boxes and the cleaning out of the fridge I figured to lighten the load by one bottle.

This Belgian style Dubbel poured a cloudy copper color with a thick off white head that had staying power. The sweetness came through in the aroma with a mix of candi sugar and dark fruit. The malty beer had a medium mouthfeel, balanced carbonation, an upfront taste of apples, raisins and plums and was sweet without being cloying. Nothing shocking here, it was what you would expect from a easy drinking lighter Dubbel. There are certainly stronger more flavorful Dubbels but this one was perfect for a quick break in a full day of moving. The 7% abv thankfully provided a good kick without sending me into nap mode. I only wish that I could buy this in PA. It's funny to think that I now live only a short drive from Sly Fox Royersford where Resurrection is contract brewed, but unless I am heading to Maryland I'm not getting a bottle anytime soon. Again, a huge thanks to Brian for getting me this one.

No comments: