Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ozzy is a Hell of a Beer

Last weekend while the Steelers were dominating the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC championship game I uncorked a bottle of The Brewer's Art Ozzy Ale. I received the bottle from Brian The Baltimore Beer Guy, along with a bottle of Resurrection Ale, after winning a wager on the last regular season meeting of the Ravens and Steelers. I figured it was appropriate to celebrate with Ozzy since this win over the Ravens meant a trip to the Super Bowl.

The Ozzy is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, has an abv 7.25% and comes in a caged and corked 750 mL bottle. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass the light golden ale created a huge fluffy white head. I didn't get as much aroma as I expected but a peppery spiciness and some sweetness was detectable. The taste is crisp with Belgian yeasty character, citrus fruits, coriander and hints of pepper. A mild bitterness even comes through from the Styrian hops. There is plenty of carbonation but it doesn't interfere with the drinkability. In fact it is almost too easy to drink. I found myself going through the bottle rather quickly. Overall Ozzy isn't quiet up there with Duvel but it is a very satisfying Belgian style ale. Unfortunately It will probably be the last bottle I open any time soon. Although Ozzy Ale is contract brewed and bottled by Sly Fox in Royersford, Brewer's Art doesn't distribute in PA. All the more reason for a quick trip to Maryland.

Thanks again Brian.

Odd fact from the label
A portion of the proceeds will benefit bat conservation programs.
Keep on flappin'

No comments: