Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2008, Its a Wrap

It's six days into the new year and everybody seems to have already put out a "Best of 2008" list. Well, in these busy times I am yet again late to the party. However that doesn't mean that I can't follow in the footsteps of all those people who have poetically gushed about the past year. Here's my version of 08 favorites and wishes for 09.

Although it started late in 2007, I Am Beer Wise Really Took Shape in 2008. It started as a way to keep track of my beer journeys through Pennsylvania and to gain some knowledge of the brewing world. A little more than a year has passed and this experiment is running at full speed. I've been motivated by many; thank you Mr. Bryson, Ms. Woods, Mr. Kolesar, Mr. Bearer and Mr. Weiss. All of you continue to educate my beer centric mind.

2008 was a big year in beer and life for me. Kelleigh and I moved from Philadelphia to the burbs, got married and bought a house. The best thing is good beer is still closer than ever. Everyone Needs A Neighborhood Bar (Best Old School Place). My spot is Capone's in Norristown. Matt Capone always has a great draft list, frequently puts together beer promos and events and has one of the best bottleshops in Philly. The bar is low key and has craft beer drinkers rubbing elbows with the macro crowd. It's great there is a place where we can all get along.

The Best Week Ever (other than my honeymoon) of course was Philly Beer Week. More events, seminars, dinners, history lessons, tastings, festivals and beer, beer, beer than anyone could totally take in. The week truly showed everyone what an amazing beer town Philadelphia is. Just think it all happens again in a few months.

The Best Day Ever (other than my wedding day) July 13, 2008. My first Friday the Firkenteenth at The Grey Lodge was a thing of beauty. Firkins lining the bar, a cheering crowd, a seat at the bar; score!!! Scoats knows how to make the unlucky lucky; just get some of the best beer available in firkins and serve it to the thirsty masses.

Best Beer I Used to Struggle to Find. Pliny the Elder used to be a rare find but in 08 it made multiple appearances around Philly. It was almost like living on the West Coast. Currently it's on at the new Craft Ale House in Limerick. Get it while you can. Runner up: Founders Breakfast Stout. As much as I love Pliny, Russian River's other hop bomb Blind Pig IPA is my Beer of the Year.

Favorite Beer Trend. Sure you can put more hops in it but that's so 07. Instead put mine in a barrel and age it. I hooked onto the barrel aged craze and still haven't let go. Just make sure it's bourbon. Founders Backwoods Bastard and Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Weyerbacher Insanity, Schlafly's Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout and Sprecher Dopple Bock (Bourbon Aged), I'll take them all.

So Sad to See it Go. Vadalia Marketplace in Lansdale closed it doors after a short run. Marty and Rebecca Reeser put together a unique gourmet market that had something that most PA grocery stores don't, a beer section. Six packs, bombers, 750's and singles, Vadalia conveniently provided an amazing selection of beer. It's unfortunate that they didn't get the support they needed to succeed. Also Gone Ludwig's Garten and Which Brew in Easton, PA. So Glad to See it Open. The Fetfatzes family's new digs. Bella Vista Beer and Soda Distributor moved into a new 38,000 sq ft building across the street from their old location. The new place offers around 1200 varieties of beer plus glassware, homebrew kits and breweriana. Beer heaven in South Philly.

You Meet the Darnedest People in Bars (Best bar talk). Writing the blog has me bouncing around the area and striking up conversation from bar stool to bar stool. Among the many BA'ers and craft beer fans I swap stories with I always cross paths with Cask Kevin and Dan Bengel. Since I spend more time out in the suburbs around KoP than I do in the city I guess its inevitable that our beer worlds would overlap. I look forward to more conversation over many pints. Still Looking Forward to Running Into. Even though I try to journey out to many of the area's beer happenings obviously I haven't been to enough. I still haven't had the chance to bend the ear of these beer folk; Suzanne Woods, Jack Curtin and Bryan Kolesar. Hope to meet you guys in 09.

Damn There is Something Special About that Place (Favorite new bar). Memphis Taproom had me saying that over and over again in the past year. Brendan Hartranft, Paula Decker and Ken Correll put together an inviting corner bar with a cool neighborhood vibe. They seem to take real pride in the Port Fishington (Port Richmond, Kensington, Fishtown) area. I am embarrassed to say that I still haven't made it to a Pittsburgh Transplant Happy Hour. The 1st Tuesday in February is already marked on my calender.

Final 08 quick hits.

Best Reason to Head to Pittsburgh Other Than to See Family. (Tie) D'z Six Pack and Dogz and Sharp Edge
Best Brewery Visited East Side: East End Brewing Co.
Best Brewery Visited West Side: (Tie) Russian River Brewing Co. and Bear Republic.
Best Brewery Visited Way West Side: Maui Brewing Company. The beaches in Hawaii and Coconut Porter that's livin'.
Best Beer Ambassador:: Dr. Joel (New Holland Brewing)
Best New Local Brew Pub: Earth,Bread + Brewery.
Best Time Drinking Beer in the Streets: Midtown Village Fall Festival.
Best Time with Farm Animals: Sly Fox Bock Fest and Goat Race.
Best Bartender:
Scott at TJ's. Somehow the guy always knows what I want to drink.

08 is done so it's time to journey into the New Year. Here's to enjoying amazing beer in 09. Cheers!!!


4 comments:

Bryan Kolesar said...

Congratulations on a solid year of beer and wedded bliss! Btw, deftly done your distinguishing between best times related to beer and those related to wedding :)

It must say something about our region that we can go for so long and not have bumped into each other.

Best wishes for more beer than house projects in the new year!

Bryan Kolesar said...

Imagine my surprise last night when I was informed that we actually have crossed paths before....at TJs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out sir, it's been a bit too long since we've bumped into each other. Hope to see you soon.

Brian P said...

You know our beer paths will cross soon and when they do the next pint is on me.