Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Missed Trip to Memphis

For the second time I have missed the Pittsburgh Happy Hour at the Memphis Taproom. In fact I am writing this as it is happening. Again a small curve ball messed up my early evening plans. Unfortunately the life twist always hits whenever I want to go to the Taproom. I just hope they continue to roll out this event every first Tuesday of the month. We ex-Pittsburghers all need a good place to congregate, throw back a cold one and chat it up about the hometown. If I dont make the next happy hour my official Pittsburgh citizens card will be revoked.

I was going to post this with my story on the happy hour but I didn't want to wait another month. Kelleigh and I did make it to the restaurant a couple of weekends ago. She and I were in the area having work done on the car so we figured why not stop by for dinner and drinks. I don't like the term gastropub but the Memphis Taproom fits the definition. This corner bar feels like a cool neighborhood hangout that has been here forever. It was a Tuesday night but the place was jumping. Our timing was good because not long after we sat down all the tables in the dinning room were filled. The waitress quickly took our drink orders and I started with the Southern Tier IPA. The beer list isn't the largest but it does have good diversity and frequently rotates. It's heavy on craft beers with a nice nod going to the local brewers. This is also one of the few bars in Philadelphia where you can get Milwaukee Wisconsin's Sprecher beers on draft. Grab a Black Bavarian or Special Amber and you will understand why this brewery has such a great following. If you don't see a favorite on draft remember to check the bottle selection. There are several Belgians, Germans, big bottles from CA brewer Port Brewing/Lost Abbey and other micros on the list. With beer in hand and food in mind we quickly scanned the menu.
Being a Pittsburgh native I am very familiar with Polish grub. I couldn't resist the Port Richmond Platter. The Polish fare consisted of kielbasi, potato pancakes, sauerkraut and pierogies. After waiting longer than expected our meals were served unfortunately on the cool side. The food was only so, so. The potato filled pierogies and kielbasi were flavorful but the sauerkraut was almost nonexistent and the potato pancakes were a bit over cooked. The grilled chicken on Kelleigh's salad was also dry and slightly charred. The dinning room was packed so I'll attribute the lackluster meal to a busy night and a kitchen working it's way through newness. This is a place I hate to say anything bad about. We only had a couple of items off the menu so I can't speak for all the food. The other times I've stopped in it was just for drinks. The atmosphere was always friendly and owner Brendan Hartranft seemed very hands on bouncing from bar, to kitchen, to patrons. I know I'll be back for the beer and to mingle with my fellow Pittsburghers. I am sure hunger pangs will have me searching the menu. My only hope is, that the next time the food is as impressive as the beer.

No comments: