Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lew, Mark and a Rare Fish


On Sunday I took a drive up to The Grey Lodge Pub for the launch of Lew Bryson's and Mark Haynie's new book, New Jersey Breweries. Since it was Sunday I got my typical late start and arrived about 30 minutes before they were scheduled to leave. The good thing is I missed the crowd, had an open spot at the bar and got the chance to talk with Lew and Mark for a minute. Of course I picked up a copy of the book and had it signed. Although, I almost forgot to pay for it. After ordering a pint of Flying Fish's Bourbon Barrel Dubbel, I sat at the bar and then Kelleigh reminded me I didn't pay for the book. Oops, not too embarrassing. In the end Lew got the cash, I got to meet him and Mark and take home a great read. Thanks again guys.

The beer that made my mind slip was a rare find and on tap from the previous night when Flying Fish brewer Casey Hughes was on hand. My favorite alcoholic beverage after beer is either bourbon or scotch depending on the mood, so the abbey dubbel aged in bourbon barrels was the perfect rainy Sunday beverage. Served in a pint glass it was dark brown with almost no head. When I raised the glass I caught a whiff of sweet bourbon, fruit and malt. The bourbon dominates the taste but not in a bad way. There were hints of pear, apple, vanilla, nut with a mild oak end. The surprise was the medium-light mouth feel. My preference is for a slightly heavier dubbel but it still worked well. Maybe because I am a bourbon drinker I didn't mind the booziness or notice any real alcohol burn. Flying Fish needs to make this one less of a rare find and put it on the brewing schedule more often.

No comments: