Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy International Brewers Day


After checking out the Pacific Brew News site I came across the link for International Brewers Day. I wanted to throw in my support and wish all those brewers out there a HAPPY INTERNATIONAL BREWERS DAY!!!! I wish I would of looked at Rick's site earlier because I would of posted this sooner. Beer writer Jay Brooks is trying to establish July 18th as the official International Brewers Day. This day is set aside to honor all the great men and women who create our favorite beverage. We all enjoy a good beer but sometimes forget the effort it takes to get it into our glasses. So today raise a pint and thank those who took the time to create the beer you are enjoying. This is the first year for the celebration but hopefully it catches on and will become official. If you click on the link you will find all the details.

When I thought about all the many beers I enjoy it was hard to focus on just one brewer to raise a toast to. If I were to name everyone it would take more than a few weeks to get through the list. So I figured I would bring up the names of those people who are doing great things right in my backyard. In the Philadelphia area I want to raise a pint to Brian OReilly at Sly Fox, Josh Ervine at Yards, Brian Selders at Dogfish Head, John Matson at Stoudt's, Russ Czajika at General Lafayette, Gordon Grubb at Nodding Head and Ron Barchet at Victory. Plus a shout out to my hometown of Pittsburgh and Scott Smith at East End Brewing. You and your teams have all created incredible beers and I hope that you will continue to develop beers that excite and satisfy us all. SALUTE!!!

I also want to raise a glass to Breckenridge brewer John Jordan. I had the chance to meet John during Philly Beer Week 08 at Capone's Restaurant during the Breckenridge beer night. John was there to educate all of us on the best from Breckenridge but took the time to sit down, have a beer and discuss the finer qualities of skiing in Colorado compared to PA. He was planing a spring trip the next day to the Poconos to dodge the mud patches on the slopes. The following night after attending a Bell's Brewery event and a Spaten promotion I caught up with John in the city, had a few beers, then hiked it over to The Belgian Cafe where we ended up meeting bar owners Tom Peters and Fergus Carey along with others in the beer industry. If you are unaware Tom and Fergus (Fergie) are both hugely responsible for starting the Belgian beer boom in Philly. Overall it was a great experience for a guy who does a simple beer blog out of Philadelphia. Thanks again John.

No comments: