Monday, July 7, 2008

An Afternoon with the Devil



Living in the burbs and hearing about a new beer place opening in the city creates mixed emotions. I love that a new beer bar is up and running however it reminds me that I am no longer a city dweller and it will take a little extra effort to enjoy a pint. This is the case with Devil's Den located at 11th and Ellsworth. Even when I did live in the city that particular part of South Philly wasn't part of my stomping grounds for good drink. I have been hearing about the place for the past few months but just made it there Saturday. Devil's Den has the feel of a real neighborhood pub. Not in the old, dark corner bar your dad frequented way, but rather the new comfortable 30 something spot to socialize. The split floor plan, dining area and bar, fireplace, dark wood and red walls all create a very warm atmosphere. The only draw back is it almost feels too new and put together. I am sure with time and use the place should gain character. What makes this place a good stop for beer hunters is the draft list and bottle selection. Devil's Den is heavy on American micros along with Belgians and Germans. You have popular IPA's and wheat beers but Flemish sour reds, Gueuze, Rauch and Schwarz beers are also represented. I counted 16 beers on tap and over 80 on the bottle list. I didn't get the chance to sample any food from the menu so that review will have to wait. I hope the Devil's Den keeps a firm foothold in this South Philly neighborhood and continues to offer fantastic beer choices. Along with The South Philadelphia Tap Room it gives real beer adventurers a reason to cross over Washington Avenue.

1 comment:

l said...

Ésa es!!! jajajaja!