Monday, February 6, 2012

Head Clown in the CBS Hype Circus @ TND



As much as I hate to fall in line for the hype train on any beer, this past Saturday I found myself parked in front of Teresa's Next Door at 10:00 AM anticipating the soon  to pour (doors opened at 11:30) Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout. Having previously had the 2011 and 2010 CBS in no way lessened TND's gravitational pull.  I was so damn early for the event I had time to walk for coffee, relax in my car and catch up on emails well before the first few mingling beer souls started forming the semblance of a line. Sure I could blame the over eagerness on the two Cantillons or the rest of the amazing draft list, but it's the damn bourbon barrel treatment that gets me every time. In this instance I was truly head clown in the hype circus.

So with all the hype did CBS have a chance in hell to live up to the ultra high expectations? Yep! It is a phenomenal beer if you have bourbon barrel dreams like I do. The sweet alcoholic aroma alone will draw you in and have you wishing for a big leather chair placed in front of a crackling fire. I'd have no worries sipping the afternoon away. The 2011 was noticeably sweeter (maple goodness) than the more rounded 2010. Sweet bourbon/maple dominated followed by roasted coffee, dark chocolate and hints of licorice. Even with greater sweetness the 2011 was never cloying and the bourbon burn, nonexistent. Smooth from the start with a pleasantly warm finish. Big psycho hype well deserved.

Would I stand in line again for a glorious taste? Maybe. I know of a place that hasn't unleashed their supply. Sorry, there's no way I'm making that reveal. I'll just wait to get the word and plan accordingly. As long as strong coffee is obtainable there's never a fear of an early morning beer mission.

A quick shout-out to the guys from Baggats Beer Club. It was very cool hanging and having a few. I look forward to sharing several more. I may need to take a stab at getting that trophy. Cheers!!!

No comments: