Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Founders Porter



There are those things in our lives that we tend to take for granted.  The tried and true, always around and  never wavering. That's sort of the way I've treated Founders Porter. Passed it on the shelf a hundred times in the midst of searching out  bigger, bolder more obscure beer. Always mumbling that I'd get to it eventually. Finally, I wised up and tossed a sixer in the cart. Oh what a foolish man I'd been to wait so long for such a good beer. I wasn't a stranger to Founders Porter but it had been a long time since my last taste.


Perfect match for a Super Bowl halftime
 When it comes to Porters and Stouts I tend to gravitate towards the earth shattering Imperials (CBS anyone?).  I have to remind myself that rocking a 9% plus abv doesn't automatically make it good. Founders Porter is the perfect example. At 6.5% abv it's no slouch, but having one certainly won't topple you from your bar stool. As expected the pour is deep brown/black. The small head that manages to form, quickly fades as the beer settles. Most noticeable upfront are the dark chocolate/cocoa flavors which then lead to roasted coffee with good peaks of mild bitterness. The surprise is the creamy thickness of the beer. It almost has the richness of a big imperial and notably is one of the thicker porters I've tasted. When it comes to porters this easily checks in towards the top of the list. Founders I swear I will never take you for granted again.

No comments: