Thursday, May 27, 2010

I Got Some Catchin' Up to Do: NYC Ginger Man & Rattle N Hum


I realized that I am slowly falling behind in my beer life.  With Philly Beer Week just around the corner and the tremendous amount of events scheduled, if I don't pull it together before launching into the best week ever I'll never catch up. First up NYC.

It's been almost three weeks since I trekked up to Citi Field to watch the Mets pull one out against the Giants. The beauty of this last journey to NYC were the quirks in the day that weren't beer related. I arrived at Penn Station smack in the middle of the National Train Day celebration. Who knew? And how do you celebrate NTD?  Apparently by giving out free cupcakes and inviting actor Taye Diggs (GO, House on Haunted Hill, How Stella Got Her Groove) to stand in front of a giant cake replica of a Manhattan trainscape created by the Cake Boss's Buddy Valastro. That fun was followed later by a bomb scare in Times Square. Luckily nothing major. Fortunately all the other surprises in the day were beer related.


I deviated from my usual first stop out of Penn Station, Rattle N Hum, and took a left at the Empire State Building to hit Ginger Man.  Although I like my bars a bit grittier, Ginger Man has a classic New York feel. The place is a true craft beer paradise. Over 70 taps and a monster bottle list prove that.  The problem in a place like this is choosing what to have.  I started my day with a beer I had never experienced from a brewery I had never heard of Thomas Sykes Old Ale (cask) from Burton Bridge Brewery

The more I experience it the more I love good cask ale. Thomas Sykes qualifies. It started off by looking great in the glass. Clear medium brown with a thin white head served in a snifter.  The sweetness of the beer never hides.  The aroma is boozy, dark fruit and toffee and the taste follows the same route.  Delicious bourbon qualities, breadiness and 10% abv make it a smooth sipper.  Not the best beer for a warm afternoon but certainly appropriate for a start to a laid back day in the city.
After walking back to Penn Station to meet a friend we headed down 33rd to Rattle-N-Hum.  All respect to Ginger Man, RnH has won over my craft beer soaked heart.  The ginormous draft list written in chalk, the warm wood surroundings, swag covered ceiling & walls, impressive taps, spicy bartenders, and the broken in feel even though the place isn't that old all make for a good beer destination.  More reasons I never skip it when I'm in the city. Sticking with the try a beer I've never had theme I ordered Captain Lawrence, Captains Reserve Imperial IPA

I am ashamed to admit that I hadn't met the Captain sooner.  I've had plenty of opportunities to purchase various bottles from this NY brewer but passed. For shame! No more excuses.  The Captain's Reserve was a  bit of a surprise.  The hoppy citrus/grapefruit/tangerine, some bitterness along with a touch of pine and grassiness were all expected. The twist I got was whiskey. Oddly enough there seemed to be a sweet subtle herbal whiskey flavor.  Wow, definitely different, in a  good way, from a typical DIPA. I hope the whiskey thing wasn't just in my head or a remnant from the previous stop.  I'd love the opportunity to try it again either on draft or from the bottle to explore it a little more.

2 comments:

meatyard said...

Not surprised that you like the Captains Reserve IIPA on tap. I've only had it in bottles but would like to try tap. Wish Philly got CL.

Brian P said...

I hope at some point the Captain will sail into Philly. I just picked up a bottle of the Reserve this weekend so I can't wait to compare it to the draft.